27 July 2010

Mother May I?

So, yesterday I hung out with a super good friend and her 6 yr old whom I adore to pieces.  And it hit me.... the mommy mode.

I'm at the age I think where a girl generally starts to consider whether or not it's time for a kid.  Now, I would in no way be financially ready for a kid right now  (*cue the hyperventilating on costs*) but I think that in other ways I'm all for it.  I worked my way up the life ladder.... I kept a plant alive, I kept 2 cats alive for the last 5 years, I got a dog....then another dog who are both healthy and happy... so I think that I can successfully not endanger a child's life, right?  People let me babysit and there's no trauma involved.  Not saying that raising a puppy is the same as raising a child but there's similar principles right?  I've been around enough kids through friends and family and helping in day cares to know that there's potty training, feeding, discipline, sleep, etc... which is pretty darn close to getting a puppy not to drive you completely mental.  I love kids... I can hang with them, read them stories, play make-believe, not freak out when they break stuff or get me dirty... and they tend to like me a good amount too. 

Spending time with B yesterday and hearing "Auntie Squid" (it's what she calls me lol) about a million times and asking me for things and wanting to hold my hand or have me carry her or play dress up with my high heels and overall being just an awesome kid (kudos to my pal M for raising said awesome kid) made me happy and really kind of want that.  I know that there's so much work and patience that goes along with raising a child... I've been made more than aware of that over the years... but I'm not getting any younger.  I don't want to first become a mommie when I'm 30.  I just don't.

I don't know, maybe I'm destined to another 5-10 yrs of just being "Mommie" to 4-legged creatures....

1 comment:

  1. I'll say this. I have had more patience and a better financial situation with my last two kiddos after the age of 30. I had my first child when I was in my early 20s. I was broke with a side of super stressed out, and it's a miracle he and I both made it out alive. lol. It worked out though. Everything always does.

    ReplyDelete